I first heard of Budae Jjigae a few months ago while watching my favourite TV program, Running Man.
National Treasure Kim Jong Kook (ㅋㅋㅋㅋ ^^ ) was on a mission with other team mates to buy the ingredients and cook this dish.
The list of ingredients was pretty long and quite strange compared to other Korean dishes I knew :
- kimchi, gochuchang, tteok : OK
- knacki style sausage, Spam, instant noodles, processed sliced cheese : ??? What ?
Then they explained this dish is also called the Korean Soldier Stew. It makes a bit more sense.
I had the opportunity to try it last week and I have to admit, it's pretty good! Strangely tasty. But that might be the power of the MSG contained in all the ingredients combined together.
So here's a picture I took at the restaurant and a recipe I translated from a on a korean website and tweaked a bit :
- 200g of Spam
- 3 Knacki style sausages
- 1 handful of Beansprouts
- 150g of Tofu
- 1 Ramen noodle (don't use the flavor packet as the dish is already seasoned)
- handful of Tteok (Rice cakes)
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 Mushrooms
- 2 spring onions
- 1 small tin of baked beans
- 800ml Water
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1 Tablespoon of Gochujang
- 2 Tablespoon of Red Pepper Powder
- 2 Cloves of crushed garlic
- 3 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Sesame Oil
- Slice the Spam and sausages.
- Put all the ingredients apart from the instant noodles in a big pan and bring to a boil.
- Serve on a portable gas stove on the table to maintain a small boil.
- Add the instant noodles and then the cheese
Now one of my new comfort food favourites !