Today, we're leaving stories of South Korea aside (yeah, I know, bouhou) and we get back in the kitchen with more British recipe.
Brrrrr…. It's really cold outside now, right? And night falling at 4pm... Not something I'll get used to any time soon! So let's put everything on hold and indulge in some comforting treat. Like a hot chocolate and a nice muffin with an autumn-feel for example.
These sweet potato muffins will hit the spot. With their crunchy crumble topping, you will not resist. And you can also double the quantities and freeze some for "emergencies" !
Ingredients (for 12 muffins)
- 130 g plain flour
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 1-2 Tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 180g caster sugar
- 125g muscovado sugar
- 1 large sweet potato ( to make approx. 1 cup of sweet potato mash)
- 120mlvegetable oil
- 80ml water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons of cold unsalted butteruillères à soupe de beurre froid
- 25g chopped walnuts
- 125g muscovado sugar
- 50g plain flour
1. Wash and dry the sweet potato. Wrap it in foil and place it for 1 hour in an oven preheated at 220°C. When it's cooked and cooled down, peel it and mash it roughly with a fork.
2. Prepare the topping : mix the butter with the chopped walnuts, the muscovado sugar and the flour. Use a fork or your fingertips to obtain a texture similar to a crumble. Place in the fridge while you make the muffins.
3. Preheat the oven at 180°C.
4. In a salad bowl, mix together flours, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, mix the eggs with the sugars, mashed sweet potato, oil, vanilla and water.
5. Incorporate gently with a spatula the dry ingredients into the eggs and sugar mix. Don't overmix.
6. Place the baking cases in the muffins baking pan and fill them with the dough (no higher that 3/4 of the height). Sprinkle some crumble topping on them.
7. Bake for 20minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out with just a few crumbles on it.
8. Wait for 15 minutes before taking them out of the baking pan.
These muffins keep well for a few days in a airtight box. Thanks to the sweet potato, they are really soft and moist. You can also replace the sweet potato with butternut squash or even carrot.