Lime & Coconut Pancakes - ♪♪ You put the lime in the coconut ...♪♪

Tomorrow is Pancake Day in the UK and Mardi Gras in France.

Which means another reason to make some delicious pancakes !!!
But who needs a reason really?!

These days, I feel all experimental in the kitchen. Not "Heston Blumenthal" or "Ferran Adrià"-style, more "OK, I have this in the fridge and that in the cupboard, let's see what happens".

I wanted to change my usual pancake recipe to make them a little more special. Last year, I discovered Malaysian Pancakes called "Apam Balik" or "Murtabak Manis" : delicious fluffy pillows of pancake filled with sticky black rice and what seams to be a coconut milk sauce. I just love them!

 (I recommend you to try "The Malaysian Pancake Company" ones : you can find them at Real Food Market - Southbank center, or also on Charing Cross road near Chinatown, where I heard they opened a stall in front of a shop)

Well, I don't know (yet) the recipe for Murtabak, but I thought I could just interchange the cow milk in a basic pancake batter for coconut milk. Coconut milk being a little thickier, I added a bit of cow milk as well.
I also added some lime zests as coconut and lime go so well together.
{You know, like in the song : "You put the lime in the coconut, and you drink them both up" ;) }


So here's my try-out recipe, which turned out pretty awesome!







Ingredients for 10-12 crêpes (French style pancakes)
  • 160g plain flour
  • 3 Tbsp of vegetable oil
  • 50g dessicated coconut
  • 350ml coconut milk
  • 100ml cow milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla paste
  • zests of one lime.



  1. Put all dry ingredients and the lime zests together in a bowl and make a well in the middle.
  2. In another bol, beat the eggs, the coconut milk, vanilla paste and the milk together.
  3. Slowly add the liquid mix to the dry ingredients with a whisk, and mix until the dough is smooth.
  4. Add the 3 Tbsp of vegetable oil . (Now that I think of it, maybe I could have used coconut oil... Well, I didn't have some anyways!)
  5. Refrigerate for 30min to 1h.
  6. Make your crêpes as usual, in a non stick pas, on medium to high heat. The batter is thickier than the one I usually do. It spreads really well into the pan.
Serve them warm, with some dessicated coconut on top and another of my "experimental" recipe : a coconut milk sauce.
{Recipe for the sauce here!}

Or also with a little peanut butter.
And by the look of my Pierre Hermé Chocolate & Hazelnut spread pot, it looks like it's another great match...





Who's the culprit ????

Grrrrrrrrr......



   

2 commentaires:

  1. Mais non!!! C'est insupportable!
    Look at that Pierre Hermé Chocolate & Hazelnut spread pot - absolute delight!

    RépondreSupprimer

Any thought? Don't be shy!