Time to share with you my wonderfully simple recipe for Strawberry and Vanilla Jam. It's not really original. Just simple and delicious. I mean, there's nothing really genious about adding a vanilla pod to jam, but trust me, it changes everything!
Here are the ingredients you'll need :
- 1000g of really good quality strawberries
- 800g of jam sugar (or you can use granulated sugar and add a sachet of pectin)
- 1 vanilla pod (or 1 Tbsp of vanilla paste)
- Sterile glass jars
- Remove the stalk of the strawberries and quarter them.
- Put them in a large saucepan.
- Add the sugar and mix everything together.
- With a potato masher, crush a third of the fruits.
- Heat on medium heat.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrap the seeds. Add them and the pod to the pan and stir in.
- When the mixture starts to boil, cook for 10 to 15minutes, checking often the temperature.
- When the temperature reaches 105°, it should be ready.
- You can test if the jam is set by pouring a little bit of jam onto a plate that was beforehand placed in the fridge. If the jam wrinkles when you run your finger through it, it's ready!
- Pour the jam into the jars, using a funnel to avoid contaminating the edges of the pot.
- Close the jars and turn them upside down to cool down.
I often make a slightly different recipe, using 2/3 strawberries and 1/3 raspberries. My friends just love it with fresh scones and clotted cream! You have to try it! You know you do !!!
If you love jam but don't want to make it yourself, a few jars are available every Saturday on my stall at Bounds Green Market. Until stocks last of course!